We first met Gorr the God Butcher in God of Thunder #2. He was created by Jason Aaron and Esan Ribic. He is of an unknown alien race and was born on an unnamed planet. Below we will take a look at the history of the character as we know him in the comics.
Before Gorr the God Butcher
Gorr was born on a harsh and barren unnamed planet. His family spent every day on the brink of starvation. His people were taught to trust in the Gods but his prayers were never answered and Gorr was left to fend for himself from an early age following the death of both of his parents.
When he grew older, he did eventually marry and father children, although most of them died. His wife Arra died during an earthquake. All his children perished until he had one remaining son, Agar. After some time, Agar was on the brink of death due to starvation. To help ease his suffering his father told him they would soon reach the forest and he would never go hungry again. Agar though did not survive and Gorr was left grief-stricken and lost all hope that the gods actually existed.
Becoming Gorr the God Butcher
With no faith left in the Gods, Gorr was exiled by his people. Gorr left the tribe and wandered the desert praying to die so he could join the rest of his family. While wandering he witnessed two beings fall from the sky locked in battle. One was a gold-armoured, purple-skinned God while the other was a dark elder God named Knull.
Gorr was shocked by the realization that God’s did exist and then enraged when the gold-armoured god begged for help. The dark god’s sword transformed into a living mass of shadow (called – All-Black the Necrosword) which bonded to Gorr giving him new abilities which he used to kill the gold-armoured God.
Gorr then vowed to destroy all God-like beings for not answering his prayers and ending his people’s suffering. He set out across the galaxy with his newfound powers seeking out and destroying all and any God’s in Deicidal crusade.
During his crusade, Gorr came across earth where he destroyed several Gods and eventually came across the Norse God Thor.
This is where we will finish the backstory as we are not quite sure where Thor: Love and Thunder will pick up the storyline. We will, however, have a look at the powers the comic book version of Gorr has.
Gorr the God Butchers powers.
Gorr as an individual is a mortal alien who possesses no superhuman traits or abilities. His symbiotic weapon All-Black the Necrosword, however, grants Gorr the following abilities:
- Constituent-Matter Manipulation – Gorr can use the All-Black to create a variety of structures including weapons, armour and wings as well as semi-sentient offshoots called Black Berserkers.
- Superhuman Strength – The symbiote gives Gorr strength that is at least comparable to Thor if not greater. Using the All-Black, Gorr is able to cleave through planets and even stars.
- Superhuman Durability – Gorr is extremely durable and has even survived a blast of the Thor-Force which propelled Gorr several light-years away in a matter of seconds.
- Superhuman Speed – The Symbiotes powers mean he can move and fly at incredible speeds, moving faster than Thor during their first encounter.
- Longevity – The All-Black makes Gorr immune to ageing.
- Superhuman Reflexes – Gorr has incredible reflexes which he uses to catch his opponents off guard.
- Regeneration – Gorr has incredible regeneration and was able to grow back an arm that was cut off along with recovering from a Thor lightning blast within four days.
Exactly at what point in Gorr’s journey he will be at when he is introduced into the MCU is yet to be seen, but with the character in the hands of the very talented Christian Bale, we have no fear that justice will be done with this amazing villain.
We also do not know whether the character will appear in only a single movie or will feature in several, but personally, I hope this will be a multi-movie deal.