Off the back of the huge “leaks” that were revealed recently on 4chan, we now have another thread that claims to have the plot points that have been confirmed and those that are still rumoured for the upcoming Spider-Man 3.
As always, we advise you take this with a pinch of salt, as nothing on here has been confirmed by Marvel Studios. That being said some of this sounds very plausible so make of this what you will.
First of all, let’s start off with a list of plot points the thread states are already confirmed.
- Peter Parker has convinced most of the public that he is not Spider-Man and returns to New York City with Aunt May on Christmas to reconnect with MJ, Ned Leeds and Flash Thompson.
- J. Jonah Jameson claims that Spider-Man murdered Mysterio and the government covered it up. The public is split between those who believe the Daily Bugle and those that do not.
- Doctor Strange recruits Spider-Man for a special mission in the aftermath of the Scarlet Witch “cracking open” the Multiverse in WandaVision and mentors him through his struggles. The mission leads Tom Holland’s Spider-Man to meet Tobey Maguire’s Spider-Man and Andrew Garfield’s Spider-Man.
- Alfred Molina’s Doctor Octopus and Jamie Foxx’s Electro are among the supervillains from parallel universes who end up in the MCU because of the Scarlet Witch. They are not playing the same characters from Spider-Man 2 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but rather alternative versions with new designs and different personalities. Electro, for example, won’t be blue.
- Martin Starr and Hannibal Buress are set to return as Peter’s teachers Mr. Harrington and Coach Wilson, and Midtown High will reportedly play a “pivotal” role in the movie.
- Casting is underway for Ned’s grandmother, a police detective, a federal agent, a tabloid paparazzi, Midtown students and a character codenamed “Fritz”, described as “an old man who just wants to be left alone”.
- Most of the movie follows Holland’s Peter. The encounter between the three Spider-Men only happens in the third act.
This is a list of plot points that the thread says are still unconfirmed but rumoured to be true.
- Peter’s mission is to find “The Benefactor” who is assembling universe-displaced supervillains. In addition to Doctor Octopus and Electro, there is also Thomas Haden Church’s Sandman and Michael Mando’s Scorpion, among others, with weapons provided by Spencer Smythe. Peter goes up against them all in the third act, so Doctor Strange recruits Maguire’s and Garfield’s Spider-Men to help him.
- Kirsten Dunst and Emma Stone would return as Mary-Jane Watson and Gwen Stacy for brief cameos. Maguire’s Peter would be married to his MJ and have a daughter, while Garfield’s Peter briefly reunites with a parallel Gwen after losing his own. Stone’s pregnancy might lead to her appearance being cut.
- Charlie Cox would briefly appear as Peter’s lawyer Matt Murdock, but never actually suit up as Daredevil.
- The Spider-Slayers would appear as robotic drones created by Smythe to assist the Sinister Six.
- Michael Keaton’s Vulture and Jake Gyllenhaal’s Mysterio would return. While Vulture would have a larger role and maybe even integrate the Sinister Six, Mysterio would only be featured in flashbacks revealing a connection between him and The Benefactor.
- Kraven was reportedly the main villain for the first two acts, hired by The Benefactor to prevent Spider-Man from interfering, and with Marvel Studios eyeing a “Joel Kinnaman type” for the role, but it is now unclear whether he is still involved due to the Sony-produced spinoff directed by J.C. Chandor.
- Dane DeHaan’s Green Goblin is reportedly one of the villains. DeHaan recently denied it, but he could just be trying to keep his appearance a secret. Unlike the others, he would be playing the same character from The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
- Willem Dafoe’s Norman Osborn is reportedly one of the villains. Unlike the others, he would be playing the MCU’s Norman Osborn, like J.K. Simmons, and would appear in future projects. Osborn would be revealed as The Benefactor.
- The title is Spider-Man: Homeworlds.
- Garfield would have roughly 20 minutes of screentime and actually appear before the third act, while Maguire would have around 15 minutes. Sony reportedly also wants Maguire to play Holland’s Uncle Ben in flashbacks.
- Dunst and Stone would have roughly 5 minutes of screentime each. Sony reportedly wants Stone to play Spider-Gwen in her appearance if it happens.
- Cox would have roughly 10 minutes of screentime.
- Benedict Cumberbatch would have around 15 minutes of screentime, appearing three times throughout the movie (Sending Peter on his mission, checking in on him twice, and arriving in the end with the Spider-Men).
- Elizabeth Olsen’s Scarlet Witch would briefly appear as Strange’s new apprentice, helping him return the universe-displaced people to their homeworlds.
- Tom Hardy’s Venom and Jared Leto’s Morbius would briefly appear, confirming that they are “adjacent” to the MCU and setting up Tom Holland’s appearance in Venom 3.
- Marvel Studios’ Spider-Man 3 and Spider-Man 4 are reportedly being filmed back-to-back, which could explain the abundance of character and storylines as they would be spread across two movies.
What do you think of these rumours? Would you like to see any of them come true? Unfortunately, we’ll have to wait until December 17th, when Spider-Man 3 releases, to find out.